The words quit, retire, fire & lay off are all use to talk about ending employment. For today’s English lesson, let’s check out how these phrases can be used in everyday English Conversation.
Here are the example sentences:
Listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details
- I quit my job last week.
- I quit working for the bank.
- I resigned from my job last week.
- I resigned from the bank.
Using “fired” & “laid off:”
- Joe got fired because he came to work late too many times.
- Jenny got laid off because the company had a hard time in this bad economy.
Using “retire” & “retirement:”
- Brad retired from the bank and now lives in Florida.
- My grandfather is enjoying is retirement and new life in Southern California.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Do you want to learn 120 Phrasal Verbs? Get my new book. You can download it below (a pdf) or get it for your PC or mobile device or get it in paperback @ Amazon!
[content_band style=”color: #333;” bg_color=”#CCFFCC” border=”none”][container]