|Download the mp3 file here|
Today we’re going to look at getting hooked up! Hook up is an interesting expression with a few different uses and meanings.
- The most common use and meaning is “to meet” or “get together:”
-Let’s hook up after work and go for a drink.
-Tom hooked up with a bunch of guys who play baseball on the weekends.
- You can also hook [someone] up or ask someone to hook [you] up with someone, which means two people get connected. For example:
-I needed to get my car fixed, so can you hook me up with your brother, the mechanic?
-Brad hooked Johnny up with Angelina, and now they are dating!
- Hook up can also have a slang meaning of connecting for dating, romance, or a sexual relationship:
-Tony and his buddies went to the club to see who they can hook up with.
-Eddie hooked up with some girl at the party and went home with her.
- Lastly, we use hook up to mean connect electronic equipment
-I can’t wait to hook up my new XBOX and play!
-Can you hook an iPod up to a TV?
Generally, the structure used for hook up is:
- Hook up with someone: I hooked up with Tommy.
- Hook someone up with someone: I hooked Tina up with Fred.
Who have you hooked up with recently?