Do is used as both a verb and an auxiliary verb. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how we can use do in everyday English.
[content_band style="color: #333;" bg_color="#ffddea" border="both"][container]Are you enjoying these lessons? Please help me out by leaving a review on iTunes or Stitcher. Thanks![/container] [/content_band]
Here are the example sentences:
- I like pizza, but I really do not like pasta (or) …I really don’t like pasta.
- We live in New York. Our cousin does not live very close to us (or) … doesn’t live very close to us.
- I do not watch a lot of TV because I work until 10pm (or) I don’t watch…
- Do you like pizza?
- Does Jack have an extra tennis racket?
- Did they meet you at the mall?
- Lori does yoga on Sundays.
- Akira did kendo in high school.
- Jen cooks, and Joe always does the dishes.
- Make sure you do your homework before watching TV.
- Tom didn’t do his homework and the teacher got angry.
- Did you do anything fun last weekend?
- Don’t do that!
- I washed the car today. I do it once a month.
- I always exercise in the morning, but today I did it after lunch.
- Jack was singing again in the office. I hate it when he does that.
- Lastly, we use do for emphasis before the main verb in a sentence.
- Wow! You do like pizza. You at five slices!
- Oh, don’t worry. Jane does like you. She told me so yesterday.
- I’m sorry, but I do need to go home now. It’s late.
Yesterday’s listening challenge answer:
- Thirty years ago, Times Square was a notorious place, but those days it’s a nice place for families to visit.
Today’s listening challenge:
- What does Michael like to do and why?
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
[content_band style="color: #333;" bg_color="#ffddea" border="both"][container]
Do you have question about English? Are you confused about something in English? Just click the Ask me a question button on the left side of the screen and record your message. I’ll answer all voice messages in a future podcast![/container] [/content_band]
Check out my eBooks & Paperbacks @ Amazon.com ►► Get my FREE iPhone / iPad APP ►► eBooks on iTunes ►► eBooks on Google Play ►► eBooks on Kobo for Sony Reader ►►