ABC Company was launched in 1999. At the time, it was a small firm, serving just local clientele. But business started booming, and ABC grew into an international powerhouse. ABC didn’t need to worry about the bottom line, because sales were strong and careful management kept overheads at a reasonable level. The results were amazing. Quarter after quarter, the profit grew and the company spent many years in the black.
Here is the key vocabulary and the definition in Basic English as the words are used here. Some of these words may have slightly different meanings in other situations.
- to launch (verb) means to start doing business
- firm (noun) means company or business
- clientele (noun) means the customers of the business
- boom (verb) to increase strongly
- powerhouse (noun) means a powerful, well known company
- bottom line (noun) means the final line on the financial report of the company. The bottom line shows the amount of the profit or loss of the business
- overhead (noun) is an expense of the company such as rent or payroll
- profit (noun) is sales minus expenses. If the company receives more money that it pays out, it makes a profit. If the company receives less money that it pays out, it makes a loss.
- in the black (noun) means the company has made a profit. If the company has made a loss, we say it is “in the red”
Thanks for studying today. I hope you find this vocabulary useful!
I’m so excited to let you know that the Audio Program (Podcasts) is now available!
There are 11 podcasts, almost 1 hour of audio lessons.
Here is a sample of the audio:
Download the sample here
When you upload the podcast to your iPhone, iPod, or iPad, touch the screen to see the text of all of the lessons:
For a limited time, still just $5 for both the book and all 11 podcasts (almost 1 hour of my lessons).
- The DEFINITION of each phrasal verb.
- How to USE the phrasal verb.
- The STRUCTURE showing the grammar pattern of the phrasal verb.
- EXAMPLE sentences to see how the phrasal verb is used in context.
- A PRACTICE question to give you the chance to use the phrasal verb.
- ALMOST 1 HOUR of my audio lessons in 11 Podcasts explaining the meaning and giving examples of each phrasal verb!
Now, just $5 for the book and audio! Limited time offer
Click here for a FREE 15 page sample
Would you like to buy the complete 116 page book with all 109 Phrasal Verbs AND the 11 Audio Podcasts?
Click here to buy the book and 11 Audio Podcasts for just $5!