Happy Friday Everyone! Today I want to show you a few useful idioms using the word break. Check them out and try to use them in your English conversation or writing this weekend!
Break someone’s heart
- How to use it: [someone] breaks another person’s heart
- Explanation: When you break someone’s heart, you disappoint them romantically.
- Example: Ted broke Mary’s heart when he left her.
Break the bank
- How to use it: [something] breaks the bank
- Explanation: When you break the bank you spend a lot of money.
- Example: Pam broke the bank at the mall yesterday.
Break the news
- How to use it: [someone] breaks the news to another person
- Explanation: When you break the news to someone, you tell them bad news.
- Example: We had to break the news to Jake that his pet fish died.
Break up with
- How to use it: [someone] breaks up with another person
- Explanation: When you break up with someone, you end a romantic relationship with them.
- Example: Ken broke up with Marie last night.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them.
Thanks for studying today!