When you talk about time, you can use spend and take. We talked about take a few weeks ago. The meaning is the same but the way we use these words is different.
When we use spend, we usually put the person using the time as the subject of the sentence.
- Jack said he spent an hour in traffic going to work.
- Jen said spends about three hours when she makes homemade bread.
When we use take, we usually use it as the subject. As you know, it is used as the subject of the sentence when we take about time:
- Jack said it took an hour in traffic going to work.
- Jen said it takes about three hours to make homemade bread.
Be careful! We don’t use the subject I with took:
- I took about three hours to make homemade bread.
How much time do you usually spend getting to work or school?